All patients should be on daily Vitamin C 500 mg, Vitamin E 400 IU and at least 81 mg of aspirin, unless there are compelling reasons to NOT take them, like an allergic reaction to one of them. Recent trials have also discovered that one's risk of a heart attack or stroke may be reduced up 40% by taking a 'statin' drug, like Lipitor, Crestor or Pravachol.
All diabetics should adhere to the supplement recommendations listed above for hypertensive patients, and can derive the same benefits from 'statin' drugs as hypertensive patients. In addition, they should be on an ACE inhibitor [examples are Altace, Zestril, Aceon, Monopril or Lotensin) or angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) [examples are Diovan, Micardis or Benicar] to protect one's kidney function longterm. The nutrient chromium, taken in trace amounts (100-200 mcg/day), can help in glucose metabolism. Consult your personal physician for assistance in optimizing your diabetes management or visit the American Diabetes Association for the lastest diabetes news.
High Cholesterol affects nearly 1 in 4 Americans. The new goals lower the ideal LDL (bad cholesterol) to under 100. Many individuals would benefit from omega-3 fatty acids, like fish or flax oil supplementation. Optimizing one's weight and aerobic fitness helps, as well. Prescription medication is definitely reserved as a last resort to reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Auto-Immune/Chronic Inflammatory Diseases
(e.g., lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue)
Many, many people suffer from an auto-immune disease or chronic inflammatory conditions. This could be helped by a comprehensive evaluation and plan to conquer that which has come to dominate their lives. "I'LL DO ANYTHING TO HELP!" we often hear. Now there is something you can really do! Most importantly, Dr. Gerstenberg recommends the following diet/lifestyle changes:
- Exercise regularly, optimize your sleep and work to greatly limit the stress your life.
- Drink reverse osmosis, carbon filtered water (1/2 your body weight in ounces of water).
- Take omega-3 supplements. You may need anywhere 2-10 grams daily.
- Probiotics. Preferably use 5-20 Billion daily. Best sources are usually a health food store. Best to take a blend containing bifidus species.
- Eat as organic, as vegetarian as you can, unless you are specifically allergic to a food.
- If you have amalgam fillings or possibly a dental abscess in your mouth, consider there may be benefit to having it properly addressed. Get more information regarding amalgam fillings at Dr. Mercola or the American Dental Association. The World Health Organization confirms in this position paper that amalgam fillings contain 45-55% mercury. Why would you leave mercury in one’s mouth when the world is working to limit the use of this heavy, toxic metal in ALL areas?
Generally, taking control of your health in all respects, will make profound improvement in your chronic health condition. Lastly, L.E.A.P. testing (blood test for food sensitivities, that may or may not be covered by your insurance) may be considered to see if your favorite foods may actually be harming you.
Attention Deficit Disorder with or without Hyperactivity
Many have discovered that medication helps. They do chemically restrain, as they are designed to do. Wouldn't it be a "miracle" to see that change without medications? L.E.A.P. testing can give some science to the old adage "If you would stop giving your child wheat or red food coloring, s/he would be able to focus." A very structured home program is a must for these individuals, which must include both positive and negative reinforcements. Typically, it is the parents who need to be more consistent with performance expectations.
Many parents have begun to ask a crucial question regarding childhood immunizations: "Why should or shouldn't my child(ren) get vaccinations?" My suggestion is simply two-fold. 1) Don't do anything "just because we are told to do it." i.e. Be the parent! You decide what your child(ren) need(s), based on their risk and based on their particular situation. And, 2) Don't do anything based on FEAR. Don't let ANYone, including myself, scare you into any particular plan of action.
Although I cannot say I agree with all viewpoints stated in these sites, here are some very helpful resources for your consideration:
- If you vaccinate, ask these 8 questions
- Centers for Disease Control on vaccines and immunizations
- The Truth of Vaccinations: Your Child ~ Your Choice
- Immunization Action Coalition
- Wondering what your vaccination rights are?
- State by State vaccination laws
- Texas immunization exemption form
- Your doctor must give full disclosure (before giving immunizations)
There are a myriad of alternative medicine suggestions for care. You may consider one of these for minor illnesses, prior to going to see a health care provider:
Sort throat - use natural clover honey, local bee honey or Throat Coat tea
Flu-like symptoms - vitamin C based on the person's weight 3-4 times daily AND vitamin D 5,000 - 10,000 IU 1-2 times daily AND filtered water 1/2 ounce/lb body weight daily, spread through the day
There are many other options that others have suggested. Perhaps you can share what you have learned with me!